New York City, New York (1948)
Restoration in the Nick of Time
This elegant and brilliantly designed church with a ceiling that looks like the hull of a ship was closed and abandoned in 2001 when a crack in the east wall became irreparable. As demolition crews arrived and began smashing the antique stained glass windows, an anonymous benefactor intervened and saved the church with a $21 million donation.
A full restoration program ensued, including consolidation treatment of the wood lath and plaster ceiling. The treatment program was designed by Historic Plaster Conservation Services (Canada) and successfully carried out by HPCS (USA).